December is the month when we exercise the least. It’s no surprise with all of the additional tasks to which we commit, the cooler weather and fewer sunlight hours that exercise takes a back seat. Compound that with the added treats we eat this time of the year and it makes sense that our interest in getting fit peaks in January.
I’m encouraging you not to wait until January 1. You don’t have to go all out in the midst of busyness. I’m a realistic girl and I know that unrealistic goals are the fastest path to frustration. I’m challenging you to find creative ways to fit in 5 and 10-minute bursts throughout your day and learn to mutitask fitness back into your schedule.
We’ve all heard that mutitasking is actually an inefficient way to approach our work. Our minds were not made to handle multiple mentally-intense activites at the same time. However, jumping jacks aren’t mentally-intense…especially if no one is watching! So multitasking is perfect for exercise. Here are a few ideas:
- Do some stretching, situps and pushups in the morning as you watch the news.
- Maybe run in place while waiting for the microwave to heat up your lunch.
- Knock out a few lunges as you head out the door.
- Try calf raises while you brush your teeth or squats while you are on the phone.
- Have a walking meeting with a coworker or walk around the soccer field while your child practices.
- See how many burpees you can do during the next commercial break.
You might feel silly at first, but you’ll be surprised how much “multitask exercising” you can do throughout your day if you really challenge yourself to get creative.
Don’t let December take you down. Challenge yourself to think of all of the creative ways you can fit exercise back into your day. Consider it a warm-up for your January push!
I want to hear about your creative multitask exercises!